uesday, February 2, 2021 -Former Nairobi Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko remained locked in police cells over seven counts of robbery with violence.
The Star reported on Tuesday that the embattled politician who had spent part of his Monday undergoing grilling at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations DCI headquarters was picked on Tuesday morning from Muthaiga Police and taken back to the DCI offices along Kiambu Road in preparation to be forwarded to court for arraignment.
He is also to face five counts relating to assault, according to well-placed sources privy to the happenings.
There further possibility that his chances of being freed may fail to succeed if police will make a miscellaneous application to stop that for investigations reasons.
In his Monday probe, the DCI recommended that the ex-governor be charged over what happened when he toured a children school(Kindergarten in BuruBuru) Estate in 2019.
Detectives, according to the publication, also tasked Mr. Sonko to explain his recent reckless outbursts he made over the election violence of 2007. He however refused to record a statement in that regard saying the court had already gagged him through the recent Karanja Kibicho suit.
Lawyers representing Sonko say they are still at the DCi and that they don’t know what offense he will be charged with… pic.twitter.com/29dZ1pknvL
— Ahmed Mohamed ((ASMALi)) (@Asmali77) February 1, 2021
Sonko is being represented by veteran city Lawyer Khaminwa, his counterpart Assa Nyakundi, Evans Ondieki and George Kithi.
“No one has told me about the kind of charges he will face. These are the things that used to happen during the old days under the old previous constitution,” said the lead counsel Khaminwa.
Sonko who is now a civilian after he was ousted from office has other graft charges he is yet to clear himself from.